Tuesday, March 17, 2009

96 hours until race day...

This morning I warmed up a little and walked over to my favorite 1 mile course (on the road). I avoid the track when doing 1 mile repeats, when possible. It's more fun on the street! 8th East is a perfect road to do 1 mile repeats; it's a low-traffic area, and it's relatively flat. I know exactly how far is 1 mile, so I got out there and went for it. My goal was 2 miles at race pace (10 min/mile if I can do it... we'll see!), and I went out too fast. The first mile was in 9:38, but the 2nd was perfect in 9:57. My HR was ave 152 for mile 1 (good) but pretty high for that 2nd mile at ave of 159. Of course, 8th East is not perfectly flat and it may have been a little more uphill on the way back.

I plan to do the same workout, more or less, on Thursday and see if I can hit the first mile a little better.

I cooled down afterward; total mileage 4.00. I had no pain on today's workout from either IT band :). Yay!

Saturday will be interesting - I am sure I can do the 10:00 pace for at least 6-7 miles but not sure how long I can sustain it after that. I guess I will find out! I do know that the course has rolling hills so that doesn't help too much, but I don't think they are very steep. My best 10K pace was 9:27ish so 10:00 does seem do-able on paper for the 1/2 marathon. We'll see.

No comments: