Wednesday, March 04, 2009

A good morning workout

I woke up surprisingly refreshed when my alarm went off at 5:30 am, probably because I actually went to bed at 9:15 pm. Amazing how good a decent nights' sleep feels.

I racewalked 2 miles in about 21 minutes (too lazy to look at my Garmin before this post, but it was close to that), up and down hills at the U. Good warm up! Then I went to my weight training class and did all my hip PT exercises. I'm getting lots stronger on the hip Cybex machine! I started off doing the abduction at 50 lb and am up to 70 lb now. I also work my hip flexor (left only, because it was weak) on there and have gone from 60 to 90 lb. One more week of hard work on the hips and then I can do maintenance level instead. Good thing, since the rest of my body is not getting its usual workout. I did manage to squeeze in some bicep curls and tricep pull-downs, along with a brutal ab workout.

Lisa (my weight training buddy) and I did a lower ab routine that was killer. We started with roll-outs on the exercise ball, then circles on it (put elbows on ball, toes on ground, body straight, and roll in and out and do circles w/the ball). We repeated that. After that we laid flat on our backs and passed the exercise ball from feet to hands (keeping legs straight), down to the floor behind our heads, and back again, lowering our feet an extra time when the ball touched the floor behind our heads; we did 10 of those. Then we did bicycles (30 on a side). Darn it, we did one more thing, but I can't remember what it was. Suffice it to say that our abs were toast at the end. We felt very virtuous.

No comments: