Sunday, March 08, 2009

Return of the IT band problem... again

Saturday's workout: 14.73 miles with the team (they did 12; I did more, back and forth). About 1 hr 50 min was in my usual target HR zone for my long day; the rest was a little slower (1 hr 20 min more) for a total of 3 hr 10 min.

I made the mistake of running a little today. I ran uphill a bit with the fastest team member, and that was OK I think. However, a bit later, after I had done about 8 miles, I ran fast downhill with the same team member. I think that was a mistake. I felt good at the time, but I paid later. By mile 13.5, I was starting to hurt in my left IT band. I was walking more slowly (about 16-17 min miles) at this point with the last two team members (who are walking the half marathon, and don't have a time goal; but I am so proud of them for doing 12 miles today for the first time ever!). Anyway, I was limping because it really was hurting. I made it back, and after stretching and driving home, it felt pretty good. My left leg didn't hurt at all the rest of the day.

My main concern now is my RIGHT leg. Up until now I have had no trouble with my right IT band. But last night, walking to the concert hall from the car was extremely painful - my right leg had the familiar, stabbing, lateral knee pain. What's with that?!?!? I have worked so hard to strengthen BOTH my hips and now this?!?

Only 2 weeks left until my half marathon. The team is doing their first 20 miler this Saturday 3/14, and I want to be out there to support them. Oh, and later on 3/14, Diane and I are giving a racewalking clinic to some ultra runners. Yeah... I am a bit worried about how my body is going to hold up for all of this.

Today is going to be a rest day (obviously) and I am going to take it VERY easy this week; after all, it's my taper for the 1/2 marathon anyway. I will figure something out for the 20 miler, even if it means driving and sitting at water stops. There is another coach for the spring team and he can do the running if need be. But maybe by Saturday I'll be OK if I rest, take my NSAIDS, ice, and NO MORE RUNNING for a while.

4 comments:

malvs2walk said...

gosh, I'm sorry... take care!

Harriet said...

A couple of weeks before my best trail 100, I dinged my knee; it hurt like the dickens and I was fully expected to have to drop out.

Rest, stretch and you'll be ok.

Remember that recovery from injuries is almost never linear.

Kristen and Erik Cambridge said...

Ice and Ibuprofin to get rid of inflammation and lots of stretching. Have you looked at your inner thigh strength? Sometimes if the inner thighs are weak, it puts alot more pressure on the outer thighs, particularly the IT band. I am sure you know all this, but just thought I would throw it out just in case. Also tight quads and hip flexors(Iliopsoas) will also cause the IT band to tighten up. so make sure to stretch those as well as your IT bands. These are things I have learned from my studies on the subject. Hope that helps.

ann.e said...

and isn't today your birthday??? HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Hope everything starts feeling better...