Monday, January 05, 2009

weights today; random stuff

Today I lifted weights/did circuit training. I alternated between the bike (which I'm not 100% sure is a good idea; it doesn't hurt, but I need to get some medical advice on this) and weights. I did not lift anything that required bending my knees, but I was still able to do dead lifts for my hamstrings and cable pulls for my abductors. I did a bunch of upper body stuff too: chest flys, lat pull-downs, bicep curls, upright rows and more. Of course we did lots of abs and good stretching at the end.

My IT band is still quite painful when descending stairs and even just walking. I limped my way around the grocery store w/the kids, though. As a side note, that was NOT fun. Michelle kept standing up in the car cart, so I took her out and buckled her in the seat in the cart. She did not like it at all and pitched a giant fit, screaming at the top of her lungs. Well, I still had my shopping to do, so I finished anyway. People were looking at me like I was some kind of ax murderer, but whatever. I really don't care what they think. At the checkout, the ladies asked me if I'd like balloons for the children. Hah! Balloons? To reward that kind of ridiculous temper tantrum. I think not. Then all the little old ladies who were there shopping (it's 11 am on Monday, so what do you expect?) were trying to tell me how I ought to manage her fit. I honestly did not appreciate the input - mostly they seemed to think that I was being too hard on Michelle. Um, hello? If I cave in to her tantrums, I will have to put up with more of them. It was highly aggravating.

After I got home I decided to make some French bread for tonight. I plopped the ingredients in the bread machine on the dough cycle and pushed start. The dough blade promptly broke and I had to take it all out and knead it by hand :(. Replacement dough blades are $20 (!!!!) which is ridiculous for a little piece of plastic; the machine dates to our wedding in 1993. I don't know but I think we might toss it. I can make bread by hand anyway, and I'm home to do it these days (though I have been recruited to come back to my old job, sort of - I'd work for a different boss, and I'm not up to doing it right now, so I said no).

Today is still better than yesterday, but let's face it - it's not going great. Oh, and no, I haven't called the doctor yet. I'm waiting to hear back from a friend on a recommendation. If I don't hear by later today I'll just punt. I need to get in and see someone.

I'm still feeling pretty rotten about life in general. I don't remember the last time I felt so down - it was probably before I joined WW in February 2005. But please don't tell me how I should stop feeling sorry for myself, focus on the positive, and remember how everyone else has it worse than I do. I know I ought to do this, but y'know what? I'm just not able to do it right now, and I don't care.

10 comments:

Runningstitch said...

Tammy,
Sorry to hear you're feeling so down. And no, I'm not going to say any of those things you mentioned. I would however, recommend that you see a doctor regarding the IT band issue. You may just really need to rest it. Completely. Everyone is different, but when I had this problem a few years ago, the only thing that helped was to not do anything for several weeks. Hope that's not the case for you, but it was worth it for me to be able to workout pain free since then. If there's anything I can do, please don't hesitate to contact me via email. -Lauri-

Sara Z. said...

You have just described a truly shitty day. Permission to wallow.

Anonymous said...

Know what? It's ok to feel sad. Sounds like you are going through a tough time on many levels. I will pray that your injury heals quickly.
Oh, and I think you did the right thing with Michelle. I'm no mother, but giving in ... or rewarding with a balloon ... is crazy.
Hang in there, sweetie!

Elizabeth Richardson said...

Yep, bad day all over. Sometimes it's worthwhile to think it's better to have it all happen at once than to mess up several days with just one thing after another. You're a good mother, the ones who wanted to give you advice didn't really know what went on before they arrived on the scene. As to your IT Band, sometimes the real problem is in another place than the part that complains the loudest. Best get it checked out. (OK, I know you didn't want any advice. Just remember, I AM on your side.)

Harriet said...

Tammy, as someone who has had several injury lay-offs in my life:

1. The first lay-off lead me to rediscover swimming. I now love it.

2. The second lay-off helped me excel at swimming (by my standards)

3. My third one lead me to racewalking and eventually ultras.

4. My last one lead me to finishing my first century ride and discovering that cycling really does give you a sore butt.

In other words, this is temporary (and it is common to get the irrational fear that it isn't) and you might actually discover something new.

So, day by day, my friend.

Hunca Munca said...

Sorry about your rough day. I give you kudos for being tough with Michelle and not giving in to either her temper tantrum or the well-meaning (though annoying) "advice" of strangers who should mind their own business. You will reap the benefits in the future as you will have well-behaved kids who know their limits! Good luck with the IT band. And, my shoulder is open if you need one to cry on. :-)

Kale said...

Oh my heavens I'm sorry you got so much "advice" from the little old ladies. I thought you did awesome with her that is exactly what I would have done with either one of my kids so I say you rock! Way to be a good mom by setting boundaries. I really am sorry about your IT band I kind of feel responsible for the latest soreness since you pushed it for me showing me how to speed walk I'm terribly sorry for your pain. Its soooo frustrating when you have an injury. Take care of yourself and don't worry I would be wallowing as well. Here's to a better day today!

Sarah H said...

Sounds like a totally crappy day, I hope today was better. Good for you for not caving to the temper tantrum. That is hard enough to deal with at home, let alone at the grocery store. That sucks.

I can't believe the replacement blade for your bread machine costs 20 bucks - you could probably get a whole bread machine for that much at a thrift store!

Anyway, hugs to you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tammy,

My condolences on your bad day. I hope things pick up for you soon.

I've also gotten my share of dirty looks and unsolicited advice, but I agree with you: you can't give in to a tantrum. If you give in or reward bad behavior, you'll see a lot more of it. Lina was a climber even before she could walk. I had all sorts of harnesses to keep her in shopping carts, high chairs, strollers, etc, but she often wiggled out anyhow. Trying to restrain her usually resulted in a screaming tantrum, so I'd just push the cart with the screaming kid through the store anyhow. Hang in there!

Heather said...

Sorry you had such a rough day. I would have done the exact same thing with Emily that you did with Michelle. I would not have been happy with other peoples' "advice" especially people very far removed from life with a toddler.

Things will improve on the exercise front too. I'm glad I see above you have an appointment to see someone. I understand all too well how hard it is to be physically limited when you have the motivation and drive to be out there!