Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Day 2: 40 days 'til 39

Today is day 2 of our 40-day adventure.

Today we decided to listen to a song from 1969, the year Sarah was born. I chose "Na Na Na Na Hey Kiss Him Goodbye" by Steam. According to Wikipedia,

"Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye" is a song written and recorded by Gary DeCarlo, Dale Frashuer, and Paul Leka; attributed to a then-fictitious band "Steam," it was released under the Mercury subsidiary label Fontana. It became a number one pop single on the Billboard Hot 100 in late 1969. Although subsequent recordings and a quickly assembled touring band Steam met with little success, "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye" remains a perennial favorite.

I chose it because it brought back memories from the mid-80s, when I was in high school marching band. We used to sing this song to the opposing football team & crowd when it became clear that our football team was going to steamroll them. We'd wave goodbye with our white gloves, sing at the top of our lungs, and generally just have an awesome time.

If you want to have a listen:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great song, and great idea with 40 days of 40. I think I'll do the same, except with 40 non-consecutive days following the big day. That way I can spread it out over the whole year, and have plenty of excuses for a little bigger indulgences.
I used to sing this song with I-5 at UCSD. We sang the version recorded by the Nylons.

Hunca Munca said...

Yeah baby! Great song choice! I was surprised to see so many great songs from 1969 (most of which I had forgotten all about).