Thursday, January 15, 2009

PT

Tonight I had my first PT and now I'm a bit bummed. The PT said (and rightly I think) that walking when it hurts will make the inflammation worse :(. However he did say to walk as much as I can w/o pain in order to stay in shape. He did a very thorough history and physical and I'm in pretty good shape except for weak abductors on both sides (gluteus medius in particular) and weak LEFT hip flexors. Also I have mild pronation in my left foot. He did recommend I wear my running shoe inserts (they have pretty good arch support/motion control) in my racewalking shoes to help with my overpronation. I am hoping (probably in vain) that this will be the magic bullet, but in reality it looks like this might really be a long road. Oh well.

He said it's not good that the foam roller (which I've been using for quite a while now) is not helping - often that is indicative of a bad prognosis. He gave me some stretches and exercises to strengthen abductors & hip flexors, and did some fancy massage thing on my left IT band to break up adhesions. I am a bit sad because I was hoping to be able to walk more, but it looks like I am still going to have to take it very very easy. And the prognosis is not necessarily very good at this point, which is a bummer.

I'm tired and could use a bit of rest. I think I'll stretch things out a bit and crawl into bed. Tomorrow? Some stationary biking (highly recommended by the PT, as well as swimming), and my weight training class.

3 comments:

Runningstitch said...

Tammy,
Please check with your PT regarding stretching. I have heard that stretching the IT band when there's still inflammation is not a good thing. I'm not a PT or anything close to that, so might be worth to run it by him/her for input.

Rachel said...

{{{{hugs}}}} i know this is hard on you.

Hunca Munca said...

If your muscles are "weak" I'd hate to know what they would think of mine!