Saturday, January 03, 2009

Pain

OK, it's really time to face facts. I cannot racewalk now. At all. I may be a TNT coach, but I am going to have to coach from my car and set a good example to the team members of how to take care of yourself when you are injured.

I walked with the team today. After 35 minutes, my knee was quite painful. I did stop, go by my house (near the route!) and use the foam roller. I went back out and within a block was in screaming pain again, even though I was not racewalking - just regular walking. It was a huge disappointment. I walked the remaining team members back to the park despite the pain, and tried to keep a game face (the team workout today was sparsely attended due to 2 inches of fresh snow last night, but the roads were pretty clear, it wasn't that cold, and we got a nice workout!).

The emotional pain of not being able to racewalk is probably just as hard for me as the physical pain. I'm worried about how I'm going to exercise (swimming will be the answer for now I suppose, but still, I'm not used to it :( and I know I will miss walking SO much) and how I will keep the weight off, and I do NOT want to start eating over this. It's just not worth it, but it would be easy to do.

I'm really sad. I am trying very very hard to stay positive, but it's not easy. My brother told me it took him 2 months of NO RUNNING to heal his IT band. I really hope it won't take me that long to get better. I am entered in a 1/2 marathon on 3/21 and I really want to be able to do it :(.

I will call a doctor on Monday. Anyone local know a good orthopedic doc/sports medicine doc? Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Tammy, we all go through bouts of injuries You are not alone! My broken toe kept me out for 2 mths, but remember I was able to come back and do that 5K race with just 2 weeks of training! The pool (although boring) does wonders, and if you are able to bike, that is a bonus as well. Those two activities were all I did while I was injured.

The sports doctor or physiotherapist will be able to tell you exactly how to rehabilitate yourself. Listen to them. And since I've been there, I can tell you that yes, it does suck being off for a bit, but your fitness will come back quicker than you think. I was quite surprised about that.

Hang in there - see what the doctor says and get yourself fixed up right!

Oh, and great example-setting today! That's the type of coach people need!

Hunca Munca said...

Ugh, sorry! That really is a major bummer. Hope it heals soon.

Harriet said...

Have you e-mailed Dave McGovern? He came back from this, I believe.

I missed about 8 months from a piriformis injury and survived to tell the tale; I also got reacquainted with swimming and ended up enjoying that.

Rachel said...

oh Tammy, Im so sorry :( dont worry, you'll heal up and be out there again soon! {{hugs}}

malvs2walk said...

Sorry, Tammy! I too have suffered different injuries, and have come back strong. Please do what the dr says and take the time you need to heal.
Maryann