Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Random TV thoughts

I was watching the TODAY show while I was on the treadmill this morning.

Some random thoughts:

They did a story on octuplets born in California. All the questions were about how the babies were doing, what complications they might have, etc. No one asked about WHY the heck somebody was having octuplets to begin with. Assuming that the woman was receiving infertility treatment (the most likely scenario), why were no hard questions asked about the FAILURE that this represents? Women should not be having litters. Medical science should be held accountable for this sort of thing.

They did another story on a man who was "dead for an hour" (heart attack) and resuscitated. I actually did not watch the story, because I was finished with my workout, but I question the whole premise of such a story. The idea I think is that we are going to learn something about the afterlife or lack thereof from someone's near death experience. I question this. All we learn from something like this is perhaps something about what it is like to ALMOST die. The guy was resuscitated, and he did NOT die. Whether you believe in an afterlife or not is irrelevant; all we can learn from this is what it is like to be in heart failure and be resuscitated, from ONE person's point of view.

I have no idea why I waste time watching TV at all. I watch very little (mostly while on the treadmill, these days; sometimes a little of what passes for "news" while making dinner) and this is why. Of course, I could probably exercise a little better taste in TV shows. I should switch to PBS but at 7 am it's just cartoons.

No comments: