Thursday, November 27, 2008

Cold Turkey 6K, 2008

This race went much better than last year, despite being in similar condition (or maybe even less trained?). I just felt strong and good today, and cranked out a 36:26 (by my watch) in this very hilly 6K. The first mile is a gentle uphill, and then the 2nd mile is a steep uphill, and the 3rd and 4th miles (well, 0.75 mile!) are downhill. I was able to push myself really hard, with an heart rate in the upper 160s and low 170s the whole time. It felt awesome. I was pushing at the end and it was hard, but I was thinking "hey, this isn't as hard as the end of the marathon... I can do this!!!".

It was fun to be there with friends and have a great time. 4 other Wasatch Walkers joined me for the race and we all cheered each other on. Here are some pictures.

This has to be fast because I have some serious cooking to do - company in 1 hr 10 min and I still have to get a shower. Yikes!

Oh, here's a photo of me with my 3rd place medal. I suspect (strongly) that the 1st and 2nd place "walkers", who didn't bother to stay for the awards, were run-walkers, which is why judged races are so nice. Oh well!

3 comments:

Harriet said...

Congratulations! That's a fine time for a hilly course.

And yeah, "run/walkers" who sign up as "walkers" are cheaters, IMHO.

Hunca Munca said...

Congrats on a very respectable turkey trot! Sounds fun and you look happy in the picture. I agree about the run/walkers who sign up as walkers...cheaters! Hope your turkey day was fun!

yes1 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.