Saturday, November 29, 2008

Satuday Team Workout


This morning we had a TNT (Team in Training) workout. We met at the State Capitol at 7 am, and it was still dark out. Here are some photos. It was in the upper 30s, so chilly but not too bad. I was worried about my IT band problems in my left leg, but was excited to work out with the team, regardless.

I started out fast with the runners. That was fun. Many of them were very surprised that I could keep up with them :). I enjoyed meeting them and getting to know them a bit better. I went out with the faster people and worked my way back gradually to the slower people. It was a lot of fun moving from group to group and chatting with everyone. Finally, I spent a lot of time with the walkers, giving them some technique pointers and helping them to walk faster. Even the slower walkers did very well today on the 5 miles (half marathoners had 4 miles), and I think they are all looking pretty good so far.

I ended up doing approximately 6.8 miles myself; about 4.2 or 4.3 of that was at a pretty good clip (easy to moderate) and the other 2.5 was quite a bit slower than my easy pace - more like a brisk walk or even an average walk than a racewalk. However, I did have some really fun conversations with the walkers and so the time flew by.

Oh, and my IT band only bothered me a little bit on the downhills; I babied it a lot and it seems to be mostly OK. I think it just got a little stressed from the Cold Turkey race, which does have a lot of downhill - and I took it very fast, of course, so not the best for the knee. I'm quite relieved that it felt OK for the most part today.

No comments: