Saturday, November 15, 2008

Where's the beef?


I bought a side of grass-fed, grass-finished beef today, from Pleasant Valley Beef. Our steer was pastured just a few hours away from where we live. I had arranged for it a while back, after reading The Omnivore's Dilemma (excellent book, by the way!). Here's another good article that highlights some of the reasons you too should try eating some grass-fed beef (thanks, Sara, for the article!).

Today was the day to pick up the beef and pay the balance. I collected checks from the 7 friends I was splitting it with, and drove down to Thanksgiving Point to get the beef. It was interesting sorting all the parts for my friends and trying to consider the preferences each had expressed. Thankfully, most of them were pretty easygoing about what parts they got, and so it wasn't too terribly hard to do. Everyone seemed genuinely happy to get their beef, and I know I'm excited about it. I'm planning to make something with some of the ground beef tomorrow.

One neat thing about grass-fed beef is that it's lower in fat and calories than corn-fed beef. I'm excited about healthy, sustainable, locally-produced food from humanely treated animals!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Tammy!

Great post about the grass fed beef. I was wondering if you had an email address I could contact you on outside of your blog. I am the social media contact for La Cense Grass Fed Beef, and I have a really interested followup story idea that I wanted to pitch to you and see if you were interested. It coincides nicely with the post you currently have, and would give your readers a chance to stay interactive in the "grass fed beef" movement and participate in something "green" for our environment.

You can email me at adipalma@thebaddishgroup.com
I look very forward to hearing from you soon.

Best,
Andrew