Friday, April 25, 2008

Workouts

Wednesday: biked to weight training class, then lifted for 50 minutes. It was a good hard workout to finish the semester. I'm taking spinning the next 2 weeks, just to do something different, but then it will be back to weights again.

Thursday: First workout for my 10K race; I did a hard but short workout to get going on the faster, shorter distance. I did 1 mile warm-up and cool-down, with 2 x 1 mile at 9:30 (goal). I actually did 9:23 and 9:24 for the 2 miles. Pretty speedy :)!

Today: Did 1 hour easy walking with the dogs, then came home and got the kids dressed. Took them to Liberty Park to meet the Wasatch Walkers. Debbie (a soon-to-be member - this was her 3rd workout and she is going to join!) and Glen (prospective member) were there. Debbie is starting to understand a little more and her knees were a little better today. She is picking it up pretty fast, I think! It was awesome to meet Glen. He is the former record holder in the 50K Masters' age 50-54. His record time was 5 hrs 13 min, set in 1986. WOW! That is a really fast time. I asked him what his fastest marathon was, and he said 4:07. I am really impressed. He gave Debbie some great pointers, and he told me I look really good. I pressed him and he said maybe I could have a longer stride with a bit more toe-off. He has been a judge before, too! He is now 72 years old, and can still walk an 11 minute mile in training. I hope I can do that at his age! Anyway, he was a super nice guy and he had lots of interesting racewalking stories to tell. He says he's coming to the Tuesday workout, so maybe I'll figure out a way to attend (I usually can't go because of work).

No comments: