Friday, April 04, 2008

Friday frustration

My son just turned 3 1/2 today. Happy 1/2 birthday, Calvin! He does know how to frustrate me, though. Everything was a battle today. I won, but it wasn't fun or pretty. Sigh...

***

In workout news, I took it easy today. I'm still a bit sore (but not too bad) from Wednesday's total body weightlifting session. Today we did arms only, and it was a good hard workout. Then I went for a moderate walk around Liberty Park 2x with a potential new member of the Wasatch Walkers, who is also in my Weight Watchers meeting. Then took the kids to the playground at the park; total walking distance was probably 3.5 miles, very very easy (15-17 min pace?), which was fine since I wanted to rest up before the race tomorrow.

Tomorrow is the Salt Lake 10-miler. It's supposed to rain here in the valley (4300 ft), but it's only going to be about 37 degrees F (3C). The race starts at 5800 feet and goes up to 6200 feet before descending to about 4500 or so ft. I think it will probably be snowing at the top. So, my question: do I bring my running shoes and just plan on running most of the race? I haven't trained to run 10 miles, but could probably do it. Or, should I try and racewalk and just hope it's not snowing too hard at the top? Or should I racewalk and then run if the snow gets too deep? I think I will just come prepared. I'll wear warm clothes and bring my running shoes to the start. Then if the snow looks really bad I'll put them on; if not, I'll plan to racewalk. It's going to be COLD though, either way. Ugh! Oh well... it will be quite the accomplishment when I finish, I guess!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I might have missed you by now, but good luck today Tammy! Are you registered in a separate walking category? Cause if you are, you can't run! ;)

I would probably still walk the whole thing. I would try to use racewalking technique as much as possible, and where the roads are not as agreeable, switch to a power walk (i.e., bent knee).

Hope it turns out well. Our weather has finally gotten spring-like (knock-on-wood).