Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Smart purchase

Today at Smith's I decided to buy re-usable grocery bags. I had been reading about the sheer number of plastic grocery bags that Americans go through, and felt convicted about how hard that is on the environment when we toss them. So I bought these bags for just $0.79 each, and they are SO MUCH BETTER than regular plastic bags. They are really great - hold a TON of food, have strong, long handles that don't dig into your fingers, and they do not rip, even when you have 2 gallons of milk in them. They have a nice liner in the bottom that keeps them wide open for loading groceries into as well. To top it off, Smith's gives you $0.05 back each time you bring one back to be filled, so after 16 trips they pay for themselves. This is a great deal and I wish I'd done it sooner.


2 comments:

Sara Z. said...

Oh yeah - those bags are great. I only have one, but I also have a big, sturdy Whole Foods bag and another canvas grocery bag from our days in SF. I think the Smith's bags are genius, though, because they are the right size, square up nicely, and have long handles if you want to put a light one over your shoulder. The other bags we have are kind of big and loose - when they get full they are heavy and awkward.

Hunca Munca said...

Cool, Tammy. Do you know if they are machine washable?