Saturday, March 08, 2008

Non-critical-thinking rant


Disclaimer: I know I am not perfect either, and I make lots of mistakes and have lots of things I need to work on. I have a large log in my own eye, in other words.

Rant: A visit to the Christian bookstore scared me. The theology section was miniscule (see photo) in comparison with the rest of the store. The "Christian Living" section was easily 4 times this big, and the "Women's Interest" was similarly large, and they were full of what I thought were very "fluffy" books. I realize that deep thinking is not popular in America, especially in more conservative Christian circles (how else could we get stuck with GWB for President?!?). I would like that to change. It annoys the heck out of me - I personally believe that Christians OUGHT to be among the deepest most rational thinkers. I could go on about this for a long time, but I think it would just be counterproductive.

Grateful comment: I love the church I attend. Deep thinking seems to be more popular there.

1 comment:

Harriet said...

Cokesburry (sp) book stores are usually ok.

You'd also like the religion/theology section of the University of Notre Dame bookstore; extensive stuff on philosophy and the like.