Thursday, March 27, 2014

5x1km

Yesterday: 45 min elliptical. My legs felt tired.

***

Today: Weather was chilly (38F, 3C) and breezy (about 10 mph, 16 kph). It wasn't raining when I started, but it began sleeting (snow/rain mix) right after my first 1km interval.

I warmed up feeling so-so in 10:03 with a couple 100m strides. I could tell it wasn't going to be a great day but I thought it might go OK. I had a lot on my mind as our dog was much worse this morning and I knew we'd have to take her in to the vet to have her put to sleep, and I was trying to figure out how to make all that work schedule-wise. I wasn't in the mood to do a hard workout, but I figured it was a good mental toughness workout regardless. Add in the sleet, wind, and the fact that my legs started to have some of the weird soreness in the 3rd km, and it was a sure-fire recipe for generating mental toughness. I figured if I could finish the workout then I would have gained something even if it wasn't a physical benefit.

My first two 1K intervals were all right. 5:45.1, 5:47.7. Then on the third my legs started to hurt a bit but I still did 5:49.5. The fourth and fifth weren't pretty but I did finish and under 6 min/km so it was probably beneficial to do them. The fourth was 5:53.6 and the last a gritting-my-teeth-giving-it-all-my-washed-up-legs-had 5:58.4. Ouch.

My legs have hurt a bit since then but not terribly, and I did do a fair amount of sitting at the microscope this morning. I will admit that I was a bit worried that whatever my mystery illness was is returning, but logically it's probably just the stress we've been under this week.

Garmin data here. 

***

We did say goodbye to our friend Sahara today. That was really hard, but it was clearly the right thing, as she was obviously suffering this morning. The kids said goodbye before they went to school, and honestly I think they are taking it better than we are. Calvin wanted to know when we are getting another dog. Geez, kid, let us process this one thing at a time, OK? But I'm glad that he is not dwelling on it and is able to move on.

I'm tired and sad. I took this afternoon off work and I'm going to take a nap.

No comments: