Saturday, March 29, 2014

20K

My legs felt 70-80% recovered this morning - mostly good, but climbing stairs I could tell that my glutes were still a bit tired. Still, I knew it would be important to do the whole 20K if I could, as I need to get my body used to 3 days in a row with a speed work day and a long day.

The weather was interesting. It was 50F (10C) at the start and 60F (15C) at the finish, but the wind was STRONG and GUSTY. It was 25mph steady (40kph) with stronger gusts. Not helpful. It was at my back for the first 7.5k, then from 7.5 to 17.5k it was in my face, and then from 17.5k to 20k at my back again. Challenging.

My legs held up quite well until 15k, when they were very, very tired and starting to be sore (maybe a bit of the weird soreness? but I think mostly just regular soreness from a long walk). Stevie walked with me for 15k, and then he stopped and I walked the last 5k alone; I saw Diane and Nancy at Arrowhead park and stopped there to talk with them and of course when I started up again it was painful. But the last 5K still went decently all things considered - it was not a death march and I wasn't in agony. Just uncomfortable.

I'm just glad I finished. It's good to know I can still do it (long day after 2 workout days) even if I was sloooooooow as a turtle.

Total: 2:12:00 for 6:36/km with ave HR 146. 5K splits pretty even at 32:25, 32:40, 33:34, 33:21. Slow, but considering the wind and my legs, I think that's decent. I worked really hard for it anyway, for what that's worth.

Garmin data here.

No comments: