Saturday, October 16, 2010

YES! 20K pain-free!!!!!

My genius coach appears to have fixed me! I was able to do 20K this morning pain-free. My foot was slightly warm, and I had a couple minor tweaks in the last 10K, but finished strong and was not in pain. I'm still feeling good a couple hours later, though I am icing it just in case.

I wasn't fast this morning, and didn't expect to be. It's going to take a while to become efficient again and figure out how to be even on both sides. My HR was higher than a few weeks ago when I did just under 2:07, and I did 2:09:33 today. But I'm not really disappointed in that - like I said, it's to be expected, and I'm just VERY happy and RELIEVED that I could do it without any pain.

I was with my friend Sarah and we were conversing for the first 15.8K, so my times were a bit irregular, but I did concentrate on keeping my form, even if my speed went a bit by the wayside for a few of those km. Still, though I was tired for the last 5K, I found energy to give it a little kick and finished strong, with a 6:20 and 6:19 for the last 2K.

I am so thankful to have a coach who is so knowledgeable, and able to diagnose and fix my problem from half a world away. I suppose I get a little credit for being able to follow his directions, but really, he is amazing! Plus he's very dedicated. If you are even thinking about getting a coach or switching coaches, I can assure you that you will not be disappointed if you ask Jim to coach you.

The weather was gorgeous this morning and I enjoyed it thoroughly, as I know what is coming all too soon. It was in the mid 40s (about 7 or 8C) and clear and calm. I did need to wear capris and a long-sleeved shirt and gloves, but I was plenty comfortable and it was a beautiful morning. The company was great too - thanks, Sarah! It makes the miles speed by when you have a friend like her to talk to. She does the Galloway run:walk 5:1, but we have figured out how to make it work - I turn around and go the other way for 10 seconds when her walk segment comes up, and then turn back and by the time I catch up to her, it's time for her to run again. So we get to converse for most of the workout time, we are out there together for safety reasons, and it actually works! Her running speed is pretty close to my RW pace, so it's just perfect.

OK, I've got to move on with the rest of the stuff I need to do today. I'm definitely happy though!!!

Garmin connect data here.

2 comments:

Nyle said...

Yay, I am so pleased to hear that you are pain free and that you figured out the bio mechanics of it all. It is going to be so good to compare our workouts. :0)

Harriet said...

I am glad that it worked out...just continue to baby it for a while, ok? :-)