Monday, October 04, 2010

8K fartlek - another PR :)

I was hoping my foot would hold up OK. It did, but it is a bit sore now (lunch time). I've iced it twice and will ice it again later tonight as well as doing PT exercises and taking my anti-inflammatory.

The workout itself went great. I had a fast warm-up, doing 1600m in 10:08, and then I did flexibility drills + a few PT exercises to activate those foot muscles.

The Army people were at the track again today doing their training. There were only about 10-15 of them today, though, and they were very courteous to me. They did a couple 1-mile time trials plus lots of sit-ups, push-ups, etc. However, I have to say that I think my workout was harder today!

I was to do an 8K fartlek, with 1K hard followed by alternating 500m medium/500m hard to the end. I was hoping to get under 48 minutes again :). I started well, with the first 1K in 5:41 and 1st recovery in 3:04. I tied my 5K fartlek PR, getting to 5K in 29:33. I was thinking this would be a good one! It was a hard effort to keep the pace, but I broke my 6K fartlek PR by 9 seconds, hitting 6K in 35:35. Then I knew I could do the last 2K and get under 48:00. On the last recovery, an Army guy ran alongside me and was asking me questions about RW. I just HAD to talk to him, so I didn't concentrate quite as hard and only did that recovery in 3:19, but I pulled off a 2:49 fast to finish in 47:52, which I think is 6 seconds faster than I did this a couple weeks ago, and a new PR. Happy me! I was wiped afterwards, though, and walked slowly around and stretched thoroughly, doing some more PT for the foot.

The foot didn't hurt during the workout, except for small twinges during the 3rd-5th km. It was warm at the end, though, and I knew it would ache later. It has been a bit achy but not too bad, since I've been good about icing it. I have had to walk a lot at work today, though, which hasn't helped.

I only have 10K easy tomorrow, so I hope the foot will be good for that. I think so.

Garmin connect data here.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Richardson said...

Is it possible that this foot issue and the iron issue are connected?