Wednesday, October 06, 2010

12K kickdown

I felt good when I woke up. I was optimistic and ready to do my 12K kickdown; 3K each segment @6:30/k, 6:20/k, 6:10/k and all-out. It was lightly drizzling and 58F, so not too bad out considering it's October (the weather in September was amazingly warm and wonderful...couldn't last).

The first 6K went great. 6:19, 6:26, 6:31, 6:14, 6:22, 6:21. I felt on pace and on target. My foot felt a bit odd (but didn't hurt) for the first 3K but then seemed to settle down, so I didn't worry too much about it until later.

After the 7th km, I thought this might not be so good. 7, 8, 9 splits were 6:09, 6:14, 6:06. By the 9th km I knew it was going to really hurt, but thought I probably had another gear left. I was really surprised at the 10K split, that despite working really hard it was only 6:08. Not good. I tried to pick it up, felt miserable, and the rain started in much harder, mirroring my pathetic workout. I did manage 6:00 for the 11th km, but there was NOTHING left for the 12th, which I finished in only 6:10 even though I felt I was dying. That last km was awful. My foot started to ache in earnest, it was raining, and I had intestinal cramps too.

Oh well. I gave it my all, even if the results were lousy. I got a good hard workout. It was my worst 12K kickdown (but I've only done 3) at 1:15:07.

I'm just glad that my coach had changed the workout because of my foot. It was originally supposed to be a 15K kickdown, and obviously today that would have been MUCH worse.

Icing my foot and I think it's going to be OK but not really sure until later today. Hoping for the best.

Garmin connect data here.

No comments: