Friday, October 08, 2010

a struggle

It's a struggle when you're injured. Ha, it's a struggle anyway to manage workouts, kids, job, home, etc. But when injured, the mental part is even harder, and the food part isn't easy either. It's tempting to overeat to console yourself. Of course, logically, that doesn't do any good, and just makes the problem worse, but logic does tend to go out the window when one is feeling down.

However, I've been really thinking about it over the last week, and while I cannot control my injury (at least not very much), I certainly CAN control my eating. So I'm going to use this opportunity to continue working on it. It's very challenging, but I know what to do and how to do it. I just have to really WANT it enough. And I think I do! We'll see how it goes.

***

Today I decided to stay off of weight-bearing activity, so I reluctantly saddled up for an hour on the stationary bike. I am reading a good book for our church's book club, though, which made it much more bearable. I started it this morning and am now about 1/4 or 1/5 of the way into Greg Mortenson's "Three Cups of Tea", about his project to build schools in remote areas of Pakistan. So far, it's fascinating.

I still dislike the stationary bike, but it can be a good workout, and this morning it beat biking outside in the drizzle at 50F (10C).

***

I have the day off work today (as I do every other Friday), and my dad is coming over in 15 minutes to help me re-do our kitchen floor. We have broken and chipped and missing ceramic tiles to rip out and replace with a heavy-duty fancy linoleum that seriously LOOKS like tile and is easier to install and thinner. The last part is important because our dishwasher is hard to pull in/out because of the tile, and it needs some leveling - badly. So, time to stop icing the foot and get to work!

1 comment:

Annie Jeffries said...

Hi Tammy and welcome to your day "off". I've been stalled for a while but now at a dead stop. Nothing like having a spouse in the hospital to make all other of life's concerns go by the wayside. There is a good chance that Don will be sent home today though so - lucky us - you get a new kitchen floor and I get unstuck and move back to engines idling.