Saturday, October 02, 2010

hematocrit?

Um, yeah...so I've been taking iron supplements religiously for 3 months now. 65 mg, 2 tablets, morning and night. That's 260 mg/day. And for what? I just tried for about the 4th time this summer to donate platelets. Last time my hematocrit was 37 (it has to be 38). I figured for sure I'd be good this time. NOT! It was 35. 35?!?!?!?!?!?!?!????????!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have GOT to be kidding me. How am I supposed to be an endurance athlete with a 'crit of 35? Ridiculous! Never mind all the time I keep wasting trying to donate.

ARRRGH!

2 comments:

Lantis Lani said...

I used to be a blood donor--or better said, I used to try anyhow. The problem is that I don't have veins. Even with a child-sized needle, I'm an incredibly hard stick. Back in SD they eventually just gave me the T-shirt and asked me not to come back. I registered to be a bone marrow donor instead.

Here in Sweden I'm not even allowed to donate, probably because I lived in Taiwan for a year. It wouldn't matter though, because with age, it's getting even harder to get blood from me.

I know it's a good cause and all, but perhaps it's time to retire from the platelet business?

Hunca Munca said...

Don't give up Tammy! Just think, if you hadn't been taking iron supplements your crit might be even lower. The test is really very sensitive to total blood volume, which in turn is affected by hydration and probably even monthly hormonal variations affecting fluid balance. And then there is lab test margin of error. And even on supplements, it can be many more months or even years before your iron stores are significantly replenished. Still, I understand your frustration. Keep going - you'll get there!