Tuesday, July 20, 2010

short track workout: 3x800m

Today I was to do 3x800m at 80-85% effort. It was a gorgeous day at the track; sunny and mild, about 65F (18C). The sprinklers were on the football field, and of course they spill over on to the track, so I had to play a bit of sprinkler dodge-'em. Mostly I was able to stay in lane 1; I guess if I wanted a shower I could have stayed there the whole time.

I warmed up with an easy 1600m in 10:19, then did the usual dynamic flexibility drills. I felt good this morning. I realized I'm a bit insecure about my 10K pace, so I decided to try and do my 800s about 10K pace and see how that felt, effort-wise. That seemed to work well; 10K pace would be about 4:42 for 800m, and I did them in 4:42 and 4:41 at 80% effort, and then did the last one at about 85% effort in 4:39. Not bad. I felt like I could do a lot at that pace, which is good, since I'll need to sustain it for almost an hour. My coach says 57 min ;)! Of course I'd love to be that fast...we'll see :). I feel like now I have the pace in my head a little better, which is great.

After I finished, I cooled down with a very easy 1600m, and then walked slowly around the track with a guy named Bob, who was walking there for some exercise and struck up a conversation with me about racewalking. I enjoyed sharing a little about the sport with him.

Tomorrow is a rest day, and Thursday is an easy 15 min with strides, and then the 5K on Friday, 12 min easy on Saturday, and the 10K on Sunday.

Garmin connect data here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't like sprinklers. Then again, as much as I sweat...???