Tuesday, July 06, 2010

10K

I was feeling great today, except for my left knee, which I'll get into later. But it didn't seem to hold me up too much.

Coach wanted me to take it easy, so I did...sort of. After a few km, I realized I was feeling great, so I decided to keep the 6:30/km pace. It was such an amazingly beautiful morning. 57F (14C), sunny, calm, birds chirping, and the Liberty Park sidewalk is open again on the south side. Near the end of my 10K route it's uphill, so I did push a little to get to the finish, because I wanted to. I did have to stop for a long stoplight at about 35 min into my walk; you can see the HR dip on the graph at Garmin connect. I just felt GOOD today. Fast, fluid, efficient. I hope I feel like this for my races in a few weeks.

10.01k in 1:04:56 for 6:29/km; ave HR 139, max 158 (on that uphill at the end).

About my left knee - it was a bit sore during my warm-up yesterday at the track and also last night but not even enough that I thought about it at all. I didn't even mention it to my coach. This morning it felt a little sore too. It hurts on the lateral side just below the kneecap near where the bone sticks out. OK, that's a vague and non-medical description if there ever was one. It could possibly be IT band pain but it feels a little different than that. I've had ITBS before, if you recall. The pain was mostly dull and achy but a couple times during my walk it felt more sharp and stabby. At one point, maybe 20 min into my walk, I briefly considered packing it in after it hurt for maybe 30 sec, but then the pain eased and I really felt fine. Weird. Now it still hurts a little, especially if I press on the area with my fingers. I'm not sure what is going on, but I don't really like it, and I'm hoping that it will just go away. To make matters worse, I forgot to take my anti-inflammatory this morning.

No comments: