Monday, July 12, 2010

12K

Let the taper begin! I like the taper, and hate it. I like not working as hard on the hard days, but I do get restless if there are too many rest days and too many short workouts. This time, though, I'm glad for it, because I have worked very hard and need the rest, I think.

I was to do 12K today. I forgot to ask Jim if I should go for 6:30/km, or just go easy. I woke feeling decent and decided to try for 6:30/km and see what happened. That plan worked out pretty well. I felt reasonably good during the walk; my muscles weren't too sore from Saturday (minor soreness in right hip and that's it), and though I do have to push a little and concentrate to stay on 6:30/km, it wasn't too hard to do this morning.

It was pretty comfortable outside, temperature-wise. I forgot to look at the thermometer, but if I had to guess I'd say it was around 65F (18C). There was no wind, and it was sunny and beautiful. I'm thoroughly enjoying the summer weather while it lasts.

I did the first 2k (downhill) in 12:34, which was pretty fast. Then I settled in, and did 13:02 for 2K, 26:09 for 4K, 12:55 for 2K, and managed 13:03 for the last 2K uphill! Yay! Ave HR was 145. Total time 1:17:46 for 6:28/km. Here's the rest of the data.

After I got home, I drove to the gym and did a short set of weights and some abs. Here's what I did: abductor machine/chest press machine; one-legged squats w/20lb in one hand/row; military press/lateral walks w/band; abs (crunches & oblique crunches on ball, back extensions on ball, rowing (for lower abs) and hip-ups (also lower abs), stretching.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You seem to be in a good mood. It is going to go so well for you!

Hunca Munca said...

Yay for a good workout! It is easy to take these for granted - I was out yesterday morning too, running/walking, and appreciating the beautiful weather, the birdsong, and the gorgeous mountain views. Enjoy your rest during the taper - you deserve it! - and just think about those invisible processes of muscle building and repair that are going on with rest. Aren't our bodies amazing? Have a good day.