Tuesday, July 13, 2010

cross-training

Today I was to cross-train. I was initially thinking I'd go swimming, but for some reason I just wasn't in the mood. Instead, I did the elliptical for 40 min and biked to work (23 min very hard uphill - took me 27 min the first day...hmmm, getting better? Or did I just try harder today?). It all felt very good. My L knee (IT band) bothered me slightly on the elliptical until I consciously shifted the knee laterally a bit, and then it was fine. I obviously need to keep tabs on my form while I train to avoid trouble, and need to keep the hips strong.

I'm feeling so much more confident going into my races next Friday & Sunday (23rd & 25th) than I did prior to Saturday's race. Now I know that I have it in me to do a good race this year, and that gives me such a much-needed boost. Granted, the competition is stiff (track 5K in 28:08 last weekend) but I'm optimistic that I will have a good race, regardless of what anyone else does or doesn't do.

***

In other news, we have decided to refinance our house to a 15-yr loan. With interest rates at 3.75%, it was almost a no-brainer. Yeah, our monthly payment will be a little higher, but we will pay off the loan 10 years sooner and save about $80,000 in interest. It's just a giant hassle to do it, and life is already busy, but it's definitely worth the effort to save that much money.

No comments: