Sunday, July 11, 2010

Biking in City Creek

I like bicycling a lot, at least biking outside. If I couldn't RW any more, I think I could get by on biking, if I lived somewhere where it was warm enough to bike outside all year. The stationary bike is far too stultifying for me to survive on all winter! (Hmmm, somewhat like the treadmill).

Today was an optional day, but since I took a rest day Friday I thought I'd do something today. First I took inventory of my muscles. I feel a little sore in my obliques and lower back muscles and some soreness in abductors. But it's very minor, and I actually feel great muscle-wise. I'm still overtired, since instead of going to bed on time I chatted with my coach about all things racewalking. Fun, but probably not the smartest thing I could do. I'm such a morning person that if I'm up late I just cannot sleep in. I wake up at 5:30-6 no matter what. This morning, of course, I woke up at 5:30. I did try a little to sleep but gave up quickly and decided to ride my bike. If I can't sleep, the best way to feel more awake is to exercise :). I don't drink coffee in the morning (get too jittery!), so I knew I needed to do something.

It was showering a bit when I left so I brought a jacket. The sky had clear blue patches, though, so I figured it wouldn't be bad, and it wasn't. I got a few raindrops here and there, but the jacket stayed tied around my waist.

I biked over to City Creek Canyon from my house. The hills in the Avenues are killers, but if you take them slowly it's not a big deal, and the view is a great payoff. Also seen along the way: a very cute hummingbird, lots of songbirds, the beautiful creek (with its accompanying cool air - chilly on the ride down), and runners doing a 5K for the YMCA. I cheered them on from my bike, feeling the camaraderie with people who got up early to work out.

1:11:29 for 22.42 km; 379m elevation change up then back; ave HR only 123, max 148. That's the one down side to biking...I had my HR plenty high for a good part of the ride (at least 130 for probably 45 min) but just can't keep it high on the downhills, so if you want to keep your HR high for a certain period of time, you have to be out there longer, or bike on the flat.

No comments: