Wednesday, July 07, 2010

6x400m, weights

Today I had a short workout: 6x400m at 85% with 2 min recovery. The weather was nice, except for the wind. It was 60F (15C) but the wind was blowing very hard with extremely strong gusts. From 50-100m on the track it was a horrible headwind, and down the backstretch it was windy too. Then I got a tailwind coming in for the last 100m. Still, it was most unpleasant.

Despite that, my times were OK. I warmed up for 1600m in 10:06, accelerating throughout as much as I could with the wind. I was worried about my left knee, but it was fine on the warm-up. I concentrated on bringing my leg straight through as my coach suggested, and thought about using my glutes and inner quads. That must have helped.

After doing my dynamic flexibility drills, I started in on the workout. I felt fine the whole time; my legs were perhaps a little tired, but with the wind it's hard to tell. Here are my times: 2:10, 2:13, 2:13, 2:10, 2:15 (huge wind gusts on this one almost knocked me over), 2:11. Ave HR 149-153; max 160-166. Seems about right for 400s. My left knee never bothered me except for a twinge during one of the recoveries, and I just did an IT band stretch which seemed to help.

I cooled down with 1600m easy, and stretched thoroughly. Edited to add: Here's the workout on Garmin connect.

Then I went to the gym and did one-legged 1/2 squats (coach recommended) looking in the mirror to monitor knee drift (it looked fine)/chest press w/30lb dumbbells. Next abductors on hip machine/calf raises. Then lat pull-downs/balance on dyna disc (for L foot)/abductors with band. Didn't have time for abs because my husband had an early meeting. Will do my best to do something later today.

I'm just grateful that my knee is probably OK. I do think now that it's my old nemesis, the IT band. I wasn't so sure yesterday because it hurts in a little different spot. However, the foam roller plus IT band stretches seemed to help today. Plus I've been neglecting my abductors a bit the past few weeks, so it makes sense.

No comments: