Monday, March 29, 2010

training again :)

Yesterday I did an easy and slooooooow 10K. But at least I was out there! It took me 68:24. 6:50/km; 11:00/mi. That's pretty darn slow, but I guess you have got to start somewhere? I have 4 months left until the USATF National Masters' Championships to get ready.

Today I was supposed to do an easy 6K. Around SugarHouse Park from my house is about 6K (well, 5.9ish?) so I did that. My muscles felt a bit tired after yesterday. How sad is that, that 10K tired me out a little? They aren't hurting or sore, just a little tired.

My foot is feeling good, though :). After yesterday's 10K, it was fine, and then I played the organ at church and even got in 30 min practice for Easter, after the service. THAT made my foot hurt a little! I went easy on it the rest of the day, and then did my PT exercises at night, and it was OK.

Anyway, back to today's 6K. I finished in 39:39 on the hilly route, for 10:49/mile or 6:43/km; ave HR 140. Foot is fine.

I am supposed to do a track workout tomorrow but might switch it to Wed so I can swim? Or I might just not swim...hate to give up the swimming skills I've gained, but sad to say I'd rather do a hard track RW workout than a swim workout (and hard track workouts are not pleasant while you do them!). I will sit down later today and try to figure out my schedule a bit.

After the 6K today I did some hard weight training - PT exercises like lunges on 2 BOSU thingies, calf raises, balance on Dyna disk and toss 6 lb medicine ball against the wall, etc., mixed in with one-legged squats, one-legged dead lifts, abductor & adductor cable pulls, plus some abs. I felt worked at the end, but it felt good.

2 comments:

Hunca Munca said...

Sounds like your training is off to a great start! I still don't think you are slow, but of course I am the queen of slow. :-) What is your goal pace going to be?

Tammy said...

Don't know yet what a realistic goal pace will be...I had better be in a lot better shape by May 29th for our 10K! Hopefully 5:50-6:00/km for 59-60 minutes total...faster would be better but don't know yet if that's realistic or not.