Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Injury update; workouts as of late

After Saturday's race and subsequent hike, my foot felt fine. So I was crazy enough to do another 4.8 miles on Sunday, this time at an easier pace. I needed the exercise, and I sure as heck couldn't bike or swim, as we were staying in a friend's condo. I am still staying within my allotted miles for the week, though, just frontloading them a bit :).

I felt good Sunday morning and did the 4.8 miles (7.7k) in 53:33 for an 11:08 mile (6:57/km). Pretty slow and easy, but that was the idea. I just wanted to get a little cardio without trashing my foot. Later, we hiked 0.5 mile to Mesa Arch and took in the view. My foot felt pretty good the whole time, though it was a bit achy later that night and some on Monday morning. I'll take it, though! A bit achy is just fine, and I am feeling stronger and stronger with all the PT exercises.

I have some more pictures from the trip but haven't downloaded them yet - later I will post some of the kids at Mesa Arch. They came out pretty cute, I think; at least they look good on my camera's LCD screen :).

So yesterday I decided to take it easier on the foot and biked for 45 min moderately hard (video bike) followed by 20 min on the elliptical and some PT exercises.

Today was a swimming day, and I got there a bit late. I only had time for an easy 50 warm-up. Then we did 6x50 fingertip drills (freestyle), which I felt really helped me to roll just a bit more and get my elbows up (coach keeps chastising me about this; I should listen to her - in addition to being a great swimmer, she got 12th place in the Canyonlands 1/2 marathon on Saturday as a runner!). Next we did 2x(6x25, 6x50, and 6x100), first with strokes then freestyle. We only got through 3x100 of the freestyle before we had to quit, but I did the whole workout with my lane and only had to drop one 50. Not bad for me! We did the strokes on :35, 1:10, and 2:20, and then the free on :30, 1:00 and 2:00. I was pretty tired when we got to the free, but despite that I had no problem doing most of the 50s in :55, leaving 5 sec rest. For me, this was pretty good - I think my technique is getting a little better. I'm still slow, but it's feeling better anyway.

After swimming I went to PT and they really worked my foot hard. It's pretty achy now - way more sore than after the race, but in a good way I think. I'll take it easy at home tonight (hahahaha - maybe I will!) and try to stay off it when I can. All in all, I think it's coming along very well. I do feel stronger, and ready to take on some challenges. Ready to eat right, too. I think I'm getting back in the mental game, which is the most important thing, and maybe the hardest.

No comments: