Sunday, March 07, 2010

Day 40: 40 days 'til 40

From Zermatt
This was our last day of anticipation. The big day is tomorrow! I'm actually very excited to turn 40 - new racewalking age group, and besides that, I think that my 40s will be fabulous. I feel fit, healthy, and life is good. No sadness here to move on, and I am certainly not feeling over the hill. Just feeling more mature and more confident and ready to ENJOY the time.

Today we were to finish reading a classic piece of literature. I (wisely, in hindsight) chose a book of short stories by Dostoyevsky. The book is lengthy but there were only 5 stories - they ranged from maybe 30 pages to 150 (not very short!). I ended up reading 3 of the 5, and will get to the others later. I did enjoy them, but they were not easy reading. I suppose great literature tends to be that way. Dostoyevsky has a knack for getting inside the human psyche, and it made for some interesting stories. My favorite of the three I read was "White Nights", about a romance between two very lonely people.

I have really loved doing this 40 days adventure this year and last year, and would highly recommend it as a way to celebrate any big event in life. The best part was sharing it with my dear friend and birthday twin, Sarah :). Happy Birthday Sarah!!!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Tammy & Sarah, it looks like you have been having a lot of fun. Sarah told me about your blog and I was glad to see that you are doing well. I am in awe and a little jealous ;).

Tammy said...

Hi Sydney (hmmm, maybe I'm spelling it wrong... now I think it might be Sidney? Sorry!). I am happy to have found your blog :) now and will read with interest. Glad to be keeping up with you in the virtual world :). Love the baptism pics on your blog - they are GREAT!