Sunday, March 07, 2010

food for 3/6 and workout & food for 3/7


a little catching up to do!Food for 3/6:
Breakfast: Kashi GoLean Crunch (1c) with milk and 1 orange (5 points)
Lunch: at Tarahumara restaurant in Midway - FABULOUS and amazing salsa bar! 1 oz chips & salsa (3 points), 1/2c rice (2 points), sauteed green beans (1 point, a little buttery), tuna and scallops with salsa (4 points) = 10 points total
Snack: 1 apple (1 point)
Dinner: Oh. My. Gosh. The most AMAZING restaurant meal that Loren and I have ever had. It was even superior (just barely) to Bobby Flay's Bar Americain in New York City, IMHO. The Blue Boar Inn in Midway (pictured) is NOT to be missed. We started off with warm crusty bread (1 large-ish piece wheat, 2 points), scallops with mango and kiwi (1 point) and beef carpaccio (very thin sliced beef with small toasts and manchego cheese & arugula; 2 points). Next we were blown away by the soup of the day (beef vegetable) - simple soup but the beef was SO tender, the stock SO rich and complex, vegetables so delicious. We shared this along with French onion soup, which was also amazing - surely based on the same stock, but they tasted so different yet equally amazing. (4 points for soup, about 1 cup). Then the entrees - Loren had wild boar spare ribs, which were unbelievably tender and flavorful, and also very lean. They came with pureed yams and some greens, which were quite delicious. I enjoyed rock shrimp & quinoa risotto with seared salmon and asparagus. The fish was terrific - moist, mild flavor, very fresh - but the quinoa risotto was to die for. It was NOT a cream sauce risotto (thankfully) but rather made with fish and vegetable broth, so it was healthy AND delicious. I have no idea how the chef makes his broths, but they are so incredible! My entree (I ate only 1c of the risotto and gave the rest to Loren; also gave him some of my salmon) was about 10 points; 5 for the quinoa risotto, 5 for 5 oz salmon, and 0 for the asparagus is my best guess. Finally, we had dessert. It was a taste sensation, but wasn't as amazing as the rest of the meal to me; I like the Zermatt desserts a little better. We shared chocolate mousse layer cake; 1 smallish round cake about 2.5 inches high and 2.5 inches in diameter was (I guesstimate) about 8 points for my half. That may be a high estimate, but it was rich. Loren had some fine Tawny Port along with the cake, and I sipped a black vanilla tea. Total for dinner & dessert: 27 points.

Day total food: 43 points
Activity points: 15 (12 for racewalking, bike, elliptical; 3 for snowshoeing)
Food-activity = 28 points - 18 allotted = 10 points of points allowance used, and well worth it!

***

Activity for 3/7: I had to lay off the racewalking because otherwise I'll go through my allotted 120 minutes too fast this week after the 55 minutes yesterday. So I did 30 minutes on the recumbent bike (I hate those, but that's all they had at the fitness center) and 45 minutes on the elliptical (9 points). My glutes are hurting from the elliptical, as it has a slightly different angle from the one at the gym at home.

Food for 3/7:
Breakfast at Matty's Bistro at Zermatt: Oatmeal with berries (3 points), 2T raisins and 2T granola (2 points) = 5 points.
Lunch at home: 1 asian pear, 1 lg green salad, 1/2 grapefruit, 1/2 grilled cheese using butter spray and only 1/2 slice cheese (3 points), one brownie bite from Zermatt (about 1x1.5 inches; 2 points) = 6 points
Snack: 1/4c homemade hummus (2 points) and 9 baked pita chips (2 points) = 4 points
Dinner: turkey enchilada casserole (homemade, 6 points' worth) and cauliflower (0 points) = 6 points
Dessert: 3 girl scout cookies and 1/3 of chocolate bombe from Zermatt (small, but amazing!) = 7 points; I just can't resist a good dessert....sigh.....
Total: 28 points - 9 activity points = 19 points; used 1 of my points allowance so I have 24 left. I still have dinner tomorrow and Costco cake (at work) on Tuesday to get through (I enjoy the food, but it's challenging to stay within points)...I can do this though! I can I can I can!

No comments: