Thursday, March 25, 2010

getting psyched for the season

I'm getting psyched for the upcoming season. Today I was upbeat and thinking about how much fun it was going to be to get into the groove again. I've actually taken the step of getting a racewalking coach. Yeah, I really did find someone crazy enough to coach me :). More details soon. Coach says my program is going to start on Sunday; I don't have it yet but am looking forward to getting it.

***

Yesterday I took Calvin to the track and got in a couple miles myself while coaching him to complete 3x400 with some rest in between. I told him to take it easy and go slowly enough that he could run all the way around without stopping and without walking. He did great - he was able to run the whole way for each 400.

Meanwhile, I did 4x400 - the slowest was 2:35 and fastest 2:17; then I did a 1600 in 10:09. Slow, but I also wasn't pushing as hard as I could and was taking it a bit easy on my foot. I had a vigorous PT session on Tuesday and it's been a bit achy since then. It actually ached a bit while I was doing my intervals, but nothing serious, and it's fine today.

I also did 30 min on the stationary bike (video bike) yesterday. I was going to do more, but had to go to work quickly before my workout, and I managed to lock my keys in the lab as I was leaving. By the time hospital security let me back in the lab (our lab is in a building attached to University Hospital), I didn't have as much time to work out. Grrrr!

***

Today was a swimming day. I wasn't in the mood at all, but it turned out to be a pretty good workout. That seems to happen often enough that I need to remember it. After our warm-up (I got there a couple minutes late and only had time for about 200), we started off with 4x150 (100 kick, 50 free) on the 3:20. I don't think I did them that fast, but I wasn't leading so I'm not sure. Then we did 2x200 with negative splits on each 200 - we were supposed to do the first 100 easy and the second 100 hard. I think I did that :). Next, we did 4x100 with each 100 faster than the previous 100, on the 2:15. I did them in 1:55 (going what I thought was really slow - it wasn't!), 1:50, 1:43, and then I still managed one a little faster in 1:40! I was pretty pleased with this one. OK, by real swimming standards it's slow, but for me, that was fast. Finally, we did 8x50 in IM order (2x), accelerating on each 50. I still can't do the fly, so I just did the one-arm version and that worked OK.

My foot is feeling fine now, so I plan to racewalk a little in the morning, and maybe do some bike or elliptical at the gym, too. We don't have weight training this week because it's spring break at the U. I probably should lift a little at the gym, but doubt I will have the time, since I have to work all day tomorrow.

No comments: