Thursday, March 18, 2010

Off to the races :)

I'm actually doing a race this weekend. Yeah, I know, it's soon. But the thing is, I entered the lottery for the Canyonlands 1/2 Marathon in December, when I thought my foot would be better by now. And I got in! Now, I know I cannot do a 1/2 marathon right now, so a few weeks ago I switched to the 5-mile race instead. That I can do. And it's this Saturday! I have not been able to do any speedwork yet, though I have done some very hard swimming workouts. I'm sure there is some transfer of aerobic capacity, but I'm equally sure that racewalk-specific training is necessary to be fast in the race, and that I have not been able to do (yet). Soooo, I'm going to see where I'm at, and I am not going to be disappointed if I stink. I may be a little discouraged about how far I've fallen, but it's probably better to know that not to know. I have mixed feelings about doing this race because of how out-of-shape I am. On one hand, I feel so lucky to be able to be out there. But on the other hand, I know I'll be slow, and I have never been so unprepared for a race, ever. Oh well!

***

Wednesday workout: 30 min easy racewalking, followed by weight training (legs mostly, with some PT thrown in for good measure).

Thursday workout: PT exercises & 10 min on the elliptical. Then swimming for 1 hr. I did about 300 for my warm-up, then 20x25 alternating fast/easy. First 10 free, next 10 breast. Finally, 3x(200 steady (supposed to do it on 3:45 but I was more like 3:55 or 4:00), 3x100 descending (getting faster each one; on 2:00)). I did finish this, but I was slow. I was kind of discouraged when I got out of the pool. I feel like the coach has helped me a lot w/my technique, but I'm only a few seconds faster than a few months ago, really. I think swimming takes a long time to master. Either that, or I'm not cut out for it. Or both.

Tomorrow: I plan to do 25 min racewalking and then some elliptical and then weight training. We'll see how much time I have. I then have to go to work for about 30 mins to finish up some stuff before we go to Moab for the weekend. Then home to eat breakfast, pack up, and get on the road! I'm at least excited to do some hiking with the kids and get out of town. We'll be back Sunday night.

No comments: