Saturday, October 04, 2008

Rainy Saturday

It was raining lightly and quite windy when I left the house this morning for my 15-miler; however, it was a relatively warm 63 degrees. Not for long! I was glad I had checked the weather, because I decided to wear tights (great idea!) and my singlet, and I tied my water resistant jacket around my waist. I stuck my gloves in my jacket pockets and wore my reflective vest and my TNT baseball cap. I felt ready for anything, which was good, because it got pretty cold fairly quickly.

The team was doing 10 miles, but I was going to do 15, so I did 3.5 miles before meeting them at SugarHouse Park at 7 am. I just wore the singlet until I got to the park, and then put on my jacket for our brief team meeting. Then when we got going, I took off the jacket and put my gloves on. After once around the park, I was getting cold (the front came through!) and so I put on my jacket but unzipped the sleeves and stuffed them in my pockets. I kept the gloves on, though. That was pretty much perfect for our journey south to 3650 South. When I turned around, the wind was at my back and I got warm, so I unzipped the jacket and took off the gloves, and then I was comfy for the remainder of the walk.

It rained continually, but it varied from a light drizzle to a moderate rain, and never got too heavy. I didn't get that wet, considering. My shoes were fairly wet by the time I got home, but only a lot at the toes. My jacket got wet but it's fairly water resistant so that was no problem. My baseball hat was wet, but it kept the rain off of my face. All in all, it was a good test for what I'd wear if it was rainy for the marathon. I hope it's not, but if it is I'll be prepared.

We fared better than my friend Diane, who did the St. George Marathon today in POURING rain and strong winds. She said it was totally miserable, but she finished - and it was her 20th marathon!!! WOW!

I was supposed to push the last 4 miles, so I did, making sure my heart rate was in the upper 140s and then in the low 150s. Total 14.65 miles (the team workout was shorter than advertised!) in 2:38:27 for 10:49/mile. I felt good the whole time, except for a few minor stomach cramps. I did have 2 cups of coffee last night, which wasn't so smart, so that might be why :)!

No comments: