Sunday, June 29, 2008

Wall Drug


Driving across South Dakota, you see signs like this for miles and miles. Wall Drug started in the 30's when the proprietors decided to offer free ice water to people traveling across the dusty plains. You can still get free ice water from them, but now it's a huge store/tourist trap. It's a ton of fun for kids, though - they have everything there: an animated T-Rex, a fountain to play in, a teepee, countless mounted animals (bison, bears, you name it), and even a jackalope (um, yeah, don't ask! I'll put a picture of it on here).
The best part of all of it was that it brings back childhood memories to come here - I remember coming with my parents in the 70s! I'm sure my mom still has the pictures of me and my brother on the jackalope.

1 comment:

Julie said...

I was blogsurfing and came across your blog...

First off, congrats on the major weight loss! That's awesome!

Also, the Wall Drug posts brought back some fond memories for me as well...when I was about 11 or 12, my dad took me and my sister to Yellowstone, and on the way we stopped at Wall Drug. Tourist trap that it is, us kids thought it was pretty awesome! Thanks for bringing back a fun memory.