Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Flooding

 Last night & this morning we were in Keokuk, Iowa, to pick up my grandma and take her to Wisconsin for my brother's ordination tomorrow. While there, we surveyed the flooding. Keokuk itself is on a bluff, and so it was not flooded, but across the river in Hamilton, Illinois, it was a different story. Here's a photo of the river, and you can see that it is almost at the roadbed of the old bridge. It was a few feet higher over the weekend, and almost on the roadbed, according to my Aunt Sarah. We drove over into Illinois and the river was waaaaaaay past where it should have been; it was halfway up the trunks of many trees. I will put some more pictures up later; it's late and I need some sleep so I can get my walk in tomorrow morning.

Speaking of walk, this morning I did 5.8 miles in 59:09. I have no access to a track right now, so I'm just doing heart rate training. I did 10 min at 140 to warm up, then 5 min at 145, 5 min at 150, 5 min at 155, and 25 min at 160, then 10 min at 140 to cool down, for about 60 min total (the cool down was a bit under 10 min, because I got back to Grandma's house quickly). It was very humid - in fact, it drizzled lightly for much of my walk. I was unbelievably sweaty when I returned to the house. I'm not used to all this humidity! It was a hard but good workout, though. Nice views - I saw the view in the photo with this post (although the photo was taken the night before).

Then we drove to Wisconsin, which took about 6 hours. We ate dinner with my brother and his wife and her parents, along with my grandma, and then we took the kids to an outdoor concert by the lake (free, and very nice!). The kids danced, ran, and enjoyed being out of the car. I'll put up a couple more pics before bed.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: