Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Track workout #2

Tonight it was HOT. Low 90s, but dry (it's almost always dry here in Utah!). Anyway, we met for the track workout and there were probably 7 or 8 of us (runners and walkers). We did a 1 mile warm up, stretched a little, then did 3 x 800 with 400 rest in between. We were supposed to do the 800s based on our marathon goal pace. For example, if you want to do a 3hr 30min marathon you should do a 3min 30sec 800. Well, I want to do a 4:45 marathon, so I'd do 4'45" repeats. However, since I'm training for a fast 5k and 10k in August, I decided to do 4'36" repeats instead. These are called "Yasso repeats" from Runner's World guru Bart Yasso.

I did my repeats in 4:35, 4:37, and 4:39, with the proscribed 400m rest. Despite the heat, I felt fine, though I did have to drink a lot of water.

It was really fun working out w/runners for a change. Interestingly, I did the repeats faster than almost all of the runners that worked out tonight. Many of them were doing 5:00 times! It was fun warming up and cooling down with them and having someone to talk to. I liked that a lot.

4 comments:

Harriet said...

About the repeats: if you work out the mathematics and use the standard "slow down" formulas, yasso repeats amount to 800s at one's projected 5K race pace (e. g, the standard interval pace).

Note that the slow down for a walker is less.

That is, for runners, the predicted time T2 for distance D2 given a known time T1 for distance D1 is:
T2 = T1*(D2/D1)^(1.06)

Example, if I run 5K in 20 minutes, my predicted time for the marathon run is:

20*(42.2/5)^1.06 = 192 minutes = 3:12

For a walker, the slowdown is less; the slow down exponent is 1.04. Example, a 28 minute walking 5K gives:

28*(42.2/5)^1.04 = 257 minutes = 4:17

Of course, slow downs are relative and depend on event specific training, individual body type, etc.

My technique is inefficient, hence I have a greater slowdown than most.

Tammy said...

Ollie, thank you so much for posting that formula! That is awesome! I'm not a mathematician, but I did take calculus 20 years ago, so I think I can handle this little gem :).

I bet my technique is still not good enough for the 1.04 exponent. My best 5k is just under 29 mins, and the calculated marathon time would be 4:26. I don't think that's really going to happen, given that my best HALF marathon is 2:14 and 4:26 is not even double that. With the 1.06 exponent, the calculation is 4:38, which might be possible. Realistically, I want to finish in under 5 hrs, but might get 4:45 if I'm lucky. Of course, it's in San Francisco, so the hills will probably add some time. Is there a formula for elevation change?

Anonymous said...

WOW.. You work out in 90 degree weather? I'm a whimp. Today it was 82 when I walked and the air was so bad I had call it quits.

Judging by the your workouts and the races you do,Id say you're more than an amatuer racewalker.

Keep up the great work.

Ollie? That name seems to ring a bell in racewalking circles>

Harriet said...

Me: there might be some other "Ollie". Believe me; I am not well known. :-)

About elevation changes: I don't know of a formula though my guess is that Jack Daniels (the running coach, not the whiskey) probably cooked one up.