Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Monday & Tuesday workouts

Monday - drove to weight training (got up a little late) but warmed up by racewalking for 6-7 minutes, lifted weights, and racewalked in between sets. Good workout, if a little short. My triceps got sore last night after this, and still are touchy today.

Today - decided to use one of Sarah's workouts. Because I don't have a coach, I have to make up my own workouts, and so I like to look at what other people are doing so I can try new things sometimes to keep things fresh. Sarah has a coach and is about the same speed as me (someday we'll race and that will be fun because it will be a close contest!), so her workouts are perfect for me to use. My goal was 4x400 in 2:06 and 4x1000 in 5:40, with 2 min rest. My times were: 2:05, 2:07, 2:07, 2:07 for the 400s and 5:41, 5:43, 5:46, 5:44 for the 1000s. Not bad! I was pretty tired on the 1Ks, but managed to hold it together to make my last one faster than the 3rd one. Also of note this morning - I met Paul Sagers at the track today, after reading about his weight loss in our local paper. It was really neat to meet another "big loser" and chat a little bit. He still has 40 lb to go, he says, but it looks like he's motivated and will get there just fine. Finally, the track was a bit of an obstacle course today, as the school is preparing for graduation ceremonies. On one end there was a large piece of wood across the track, about 3-4 running strides long. I had to cross it each time I went around, so I broke form and ran over it because it didn't seem to be terribly racewalking-friendly. It did make my workout more interesting, though.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tammy
Your story is quite inspirational. Congrats on your health, fitness and speed.
Ray Sharp
www.rayswalkingdigest.com

Tammy said...

Thanks, Ray! I really appreciate your visiting my site. I want to be just like you when I grow up ;).

Unknown said...

Yes, not bad on the workout! I actually don't mind that one. Its not too difficult if you make sure not to go "all out" on the 400's. Like my coach says, the workout starts when you start the 1K's. Staying consistent on the 1K's is the key to that workout. Good job!