Thursday, June 05, 2008

Racewalking to save lives

I have signed up to do the Nike Women's Marathon with Team in Training! I'm very excited about this race, because I will be doing it in honor of my dad, who has chronic lymphocytic leukemia, and my son's friend Diego, who has acute lymphocytic leukemia. I thought about doing the Portland Marathon, because they have a racewalking division, but I decided I would rather help raise money for research and patient services for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. I can still racewalk in this one, and though I won't get an award for my time like I might in Portland, the rewards for this race are much better for my dad, Diego, and other blood cancer patients.

The race is October 19, 2008, and after my races in Spokane in early August, I'll be ramping up the mileage for the marathon. San Francisco, here I come!!!

Here's my fundraising page
, if you would care to donate. Every penny helps in this fight. Please feel free to forward the URL to anyone you know who might want to help.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats on joining Team in Training! I'm a walk coach for the Dallas chapter (we are also training for Nike) and my wife is a Leukemia survivor, so I really appreciate what you are doing. Have fun and walk strong.

Go Team!

Tammy said...

Thanks, Marshall, for your encouragement and support :)!