Wednesday, June 27, 2012

rest days, cross-training, 3K fartlek,

My life has been pretty much insane this week. Good thing it's an easy RW week!

Sunday was an optional day. I rested.

Monday was a cross-training day. I rested. I was exhausted from the rest of my life. We are hosting a competitor for the Gina Bachauer Young Artists (age 14-18) piano competition, and it's a lot of work. Fun, but busy.

Tuesday I was supposed to do a 3K fartlek. I cross-trained instead, doing 45 min on the elliptical while the kids were at figure skating lessons.

Today was supposed to be a cross-training day, but I decided to do the 3K fartlek I'd missed doing. The weather was great - 59F (15C) and sunny and clear early this morning. I warmed up well in 9:21 for 1600m with 2x100m fast. I did my dynamic stretching and started the fartlek. It was good but not great. The first 1km was 5:24 (2:40, 2:44) and then the recovery 2:56, then 500m fast in 2:41, 500m medium in 2:59, and finally 500m fast in 2:42 for 16:43.5 total. I just didn't have that extra zip that I did the day I did 16:18 a few weeks ago, but this was still pretty decent considering the week I've had.

Tomorrow I will do my scheduled 10km early in the morning.

***

Besides the piano competition, it's busy at work. I have to present data at our lab meeting tomorrow and I'm a bit nervous. Technicians usually don't present at lab meeting - typically that's for postdocs and grad students - but since I'm a senior level technician and I enjoy the challenge, I get to present. It's just a bit of bad timing to have it this week. Oh well...I'm close to being ready. Have a few papers to read tonight on some techniques I want to use on my project; I need to be able to cogently present them to the lab. Our lab meeting is pretty big because it's our lab (7 people) plus another neighboring lab that also does neuroscience on zebrafish.

Too much to do to keep blogging........

No comments: