Saturday, June 16, 2012

19.74km and then...



typing one-handed so pls forgive shorthand/errors. weather was great. 59F 15C at start & sunny, kinda windy but not too bad. i felt pretty good today. had to drink a lot though. stopped at 8k for restroom due to good hydration. drank more at 11ishkm and 14,2km and 17.5km. clif shot blocks at 8 and 14.2km.

5k splits: 30:59, 30:57, 31:01, and 4.74 in 29:30 (31:07 for 5k). amazingly consistent. ave hr 144, ave pace 6:12/km. oh, and hr spiked to 208 after the fall. maybe hrm jarred in fall? doubt it got that high but who knows.

i tripped on a small sidewalk crack and fell, breaking my fall with my hands. i crunched the fingers of my RH somehow and instantly knew i'd broken my ringfinger. it was screaming pain and looked funny at the knuckle. fortunately i was near my car and drove myself to urgent care. xrays showed 3rd and 4th fingers broken near knuckles, 3rd not as bad as 4th. will have to see ortho but looks like not too badly displaced so prob can avoid surgery. the worst part was having it splinted as the pain was very severe. i was crying and sobbing and even screamed a bit when xrayed; the tech was irritated w me but it hurt a lot! rude! they have a rule that they cannot give narcotics there - dumb! the nurse was kind and when it was clear splinting would hurt a lot she stopped and gave me 800mg ibuprofen and ice and we waited 20 min. i was then able to gradually and with much pain straighten the fingers. once splinted it was better but still, i'm so annoyed that they couldn't give me something stronger. it's not like i broke my fingers to get drugs! really!!!!

anyway i'm resting now and it;s tolerable with ice.

garmin data here

1 comment:

Harriet said...

Sorry....it is amazing how much a finger injury can hurt; lots and lots of nerves there.