Friday, June 08, 2012

hot and hilly 10K

It was very warm this afternoon. Not as hot as it has been some days recently, but very hot for me, as I'm used to training in the 50s and 60s (or even 40s) lately. It was 82F (28C) when I started out, and 84F when I finished. Yeah, it was dry, and yeah, there was a breeze - both of those helped. But this one still took a lot out of me. I feel pretty drained!

I don't normally walk in the afternoon, but I was lazy this morning and took it easy, just going to the gym at 7 am to do glutes/hip and core exercises for 30 minutes. Then I biked to work. So, I had to racewalk later in the afternoon, which is not my favorite time to work out.

I did well enough though. I stopped at 5K to drink profusely from a water fountain at a local tennis club, so I didn't get dehydrated. I felt pretty decent through about 7km, and then the wheels really fell off - legs heavy, tired, hot, just wanting to be done. I tried not to push too hard, because I have 15km to do tomorrow. That might be difficult, though I will get it done anyway.

Total time: 1:03:20 for 6:20/km with ave HR 150. I was on 6:06 pace through about 7km...so that last 3 was very slow!

Garmin data here.

No comments: