Saturday, June 23, 2012

25K - hot!

It was quite hot today. It was 75F (24C) when I started my walk, and 86F (30C) at 9:30 am, just a little after I finished. The only saving grace was that it was dry and windy, which did help, though it was still HOT. There is occasional shade on the Jordan River Parkway, but mostly it was sunny.

My legs felt good until about 20K today, and then the miles of the week and the heat caught up with me. The last 5K hurt...I was just quite hot, with heavy legs, and ready to be done. I couldn't push much harder given the conditions, so I just brought it in slowly. I guess it's good that I'm getting in a bit of heat training, as my next big race is the 40K in New Jersey on Sept 9, and it could be quite hot and humid...hopefully not though!

5K splits: 30:35, 31:06, 31:23, 31:57, 33:18(!).
Total: 2:38:20 for 6:20/km average pace with ave HR 144.

Also of note - I saw a friend from the Wasatch Walkers, Fairlie, at about 7800S. She was doing a 5K race at Gardner Village. I also saw my friend Sarah out there a couple times; she was with her Galloway run/walk group.

Garmin data here

No comments: