Wednesday, June 06, 2012

8K fartlek - back into speed work

I got back into some longer speed work today with an 8K fartlek. The weather was quite chilly for a June morning, after the cold front that came through yesterday. My thermometer said 43F (7C), but it felt good in capris and a long-sleeve shirt and gloves. I took the gloves off after the warm-up, but my hands got a bit cold because the sprinklers were on at the track and I did get somewhat wet playing sprinkler dodge-'em as I did my workout. I might call the high school and inquire if they could perhaps run the sprinklers at 3 or 4 am when no one is using the track; there were at least 5-6 others who used the track at various times during my workout, and I'm sure we'd all appreciate staying drier!

I warmed up in about 9:5x for 1600m, taking it nice and easy but monitoring my form carefully. I felt pretty good, but not great. After my dynamic stretching I got started on the fartlek, trying to not go out too hard at the start. That was a good idea, but even then I couldn't hold the speed this morning. The first km was a relatively slow 5:32ish, and all my fast 500s were 2:44-2:49; the medium effort 500s were under 3:00 for the first 5, but the last 3 were 3:02, 3:04, 3:02. Yeah, I got tired. I haven't been getting enough sleep the past few nights, and it was a bit hard to wake up this morning. I need to get more rest...I'm not good at that!

Anyway, total for the workout was a relatively slow 46:05, with average heart rate 157, which was a bit on the low side for how hard I felt I was working. Rx: more sleep!

Garmin data here.

***

Afterward I went to the gym and did a whole bunch of glute exercises my coach gave me. I'll probably be sore tomorrow, but it will be a good kind of sore.

No comments: