Saturday, November 12, 2011

slow 30K

The weather wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. It wasn't good, either. It was pretty warm, considering, at 48F (~9C), but it was extremely windy. Gusts almost took my baseball cap off, and the wind blew rain into my face when I walked south. It was at my back walking north, but still icky. I did four 7.5km loops, and on the first loop it merely drizzled. The second and third loops it was raining lightly but with the wind it was cold and I put on my rain jacket for the 3rd loop. By the 4th loop it stopped raining but was still quite windy.

It was not a good walk. I had GI trouble (stops at 15K and 23K), and my legs were totally done by 15K. Seriously, they were kind of numb-feeling, if that makes sense. I just kept plodding - every 500m, my watch reminded me that I was very slow, and I tried to keep a positive outlook. But with the wind and the rain and the cold and the tired legs, I got a bit discouraged. My coach called me around 25K and asked how I was, and I said, "I feel like CRAP!". He and I attribute it to a lot of km this week (about 89...just shy of 56 miles), with the hard half marathon to start the week. In any case, I finished the walk, and it wasn't pretty but I did it.

Total time: 3:14:49 for 6:30/km (10:27/mile) with ave HR of 142.

Garmin connect data here.

2 comments:

Harriet said...

Walking while feeling bad: great mental training for a 50K. :-)

Tammy said...

Good point, Ollie. Hopefully it will help.