Thursday, November 24, 2011

Cold Turkey 6K

The race didn't live up to it's name this year - it was not cold! Unlike last year, when it was verrrry cold, this year was warm and windy in advance of a storm that will arrive tomorrow. It was 51F (10C) at the start; I should have worn shorts and a short-sleeved shirt, but it was all right wearing capris and a long-sleeved shirt - I just pushed the sleeves up. The wind was a non-factor as it was breezy but not gusty or blowing really hard; it just blew my hair in my face but nothing else of note.

I warmed up for about 1.5K with strides, and felt ready to go. However, I started off a bit sluggish with a 3:00 500m. I left my watch on auto lap for 500m because this race has no mile markers. It's supposed to be 6K, but it was long - my Garmin said 6.22km and my friend's said 3.89 miles (6.26km). Anyway, I pushed a little harder and then the hill came...it's UP for 90m (about 300 feet) in just 2.5k or so, and then a nice 140m downhill. However, the uphill is hard and steep and not easy at all. I still managed low 3:00s for most of the 500s but did have one 3:13. Then the downhill :)! I did all 2:35-2:39 on the downhill and finished in a fast 35:05 (5:38/km according to my Garmin). I was working really hard, and my HR was 170 at the finish.

I was way faster than last year's 39:09 (I was sick last year), and smashed my course PR of 36:26 (set in 2008). I am a little disappointed I wasn't faster, but the course was longer than advertised and it was hilly. It was a good workout, anyway! Sure beat doing a 10K fartlek on the track alone, and I have a pretty ceramic medal to show for it as well.

Garmin connect data here.

1 comment:

Harriet said...

Congratulations!