Monday, November 14, 2011

12K with 2x6' at 20K pace

I overslept a bit this morning. I needed to be up earlier so I could hit the gym with Lisa after my 12K, but I was too tired to get up that early. I seem to need more sleep the more miles I do, which makes sense. I'm just not good at fitting that in in addition to the higher training volume needed for the 50K.

It was relatively warm this morning, compared to how it's been. It was 36F (2.2C) and calm, and it was a nice morning to be out. I still wasn't really in the mood to racewalk this morning. I think the hard slog of the 30K was still uppermost in my mind, and I was sleepy, so even though 12K isn't all that far I wasn't really looking forward to it.

Because I got up late, it was getting light by the time I'd done about 3K, which was nice. About that time a friend from church (Kristin) ran by me going the other way and we waved hi to each other - sometime she and I are going to go together, I think!

I decided to do my first 6' at 20K pace from 3.5-4.5 km on my route, since that part of the route is flat/slight uphill and it's hard for me to stay motivated there. I did the 500s in 2:56 and 2:55, slightly faster than 20K pace (20K pace in the race I just did was about 5:56/km). I continued, feeling pretty good. My legs felt fresh, which surprised me a bit, as I think I expected them to feel lousy after Saturday's 30K. I did my next fast segment from 8.5-9.5km, and pushed a little harder, doing the 500s in 2:54 and 2:50. I still felt good and was able to push a bit up the hill to the end.

Total time: 1:14:06 for 6:11/km (9:56/mile) with ave HR of 143.

Of note: my left foot is bothering me just the slightest bit now. It feels a bit warmish. I have to be careful with my technique so that I do not re-injure it doing so many km. My right shin is also just a bit tired. Hopefully both will be OK despite the fact that I have to do 25K tomorrow.

Garmin connect data here.

No comments: