Tuesday, October 11, 2011

slow 20K

I knew this one would be slow, and it was. I was still a bit sore from yesterday/Saturday/weight training/whatever. My coach even said it was OK to be slow today, but that didn't really make me feel any better about it. It's discouraging to feel like you're starting all over again! I know I'm not, that I have a good base, but still...ugh! Mentally I was fighting the discouragement for the whole walk, once I realized it wasn't going to go so well. I tried to think positively, but gave up after a while.

I started off fine, doing the first 5K in about 31 min, but then it got dicey fast. My legs just got tired. I felt a bit tired from 5-15K, and at 15K I just wanted to be done. The last 5K was ugly; my legs were heavy and tired. Oh well. I got it done. I'm glad tomorrow is cross-training.

On the bright side, the weather was OK (50F, 10C; calm and overcast with slight drizzle occasionally) and I had no GI problems at all :). And I discovered that the strawberry-banana GU is pretty tasty, well, as tasty as GU can be I suppose!

Total time: 2:09:23 for 6:28/km with ave HR in the upper 140s. My heart rate monitor is still acting up, though it was better on the last 1/2 of the walk. It said my ave HR was 153 but that is definitely wrong as it was spiking a lot in the first 5K.

Garmin connect data here.

1 comment:

Nyle said...

2:09 is still a fantastic time for training! Dont knock yourself so hard. It was not long ago we were both struggling to even get that time in a race :) and think, with every rebuild...you always come back harder, faster and stronger!!!!!