Monday, October 24, 2011

almost 12K

Have to post quickly today - lots to do, sorry! I was to do 12K today, and I did 11.74 of it. My #$&@^ alarm clock didn't go off and I woke up late, so not only did I miss going to the gym w/Lisa, but I barely had time for a workout before taking the kids to school. I cut it a little short because I was so pressed for time :(. Oh well, close enough.

Weather - still really nice for late October. The computer (national weather service) said it was 50F (10C) so I dressed in shorts and a T-shirt, but when I got upstairs my thermometer said 44F (6.7C). Drat! I didn't have time to put on a long-sleeved shirt but I did throw on a pair of gloves. I was a bit chilly but not too bad, as it wasn't windy today. Calm and very beautiful by the end of my workout when the sun finally came up.

My 12K was to have 2x6' bursts at 20K pace. I've been improving a lot so I have no idea what 20K race pace is these days, but I figured it didn't matter much. I'd just push it nice and hard for 6 minutes and see what came out. My first 6' burst was 2:51 and 2:50 (fast!), and after that I did slow down a little. By the time I was about to do my 2nd burst, my legs felt sluggish and I pulled a few slower 500s (3:09). The 2nd burst was a little slower at 2:56 and then 2:51, but still a nice effort. It kicked my legs back into gear and I finished the workout pretty fast, even pulling some 3:08-3:09s up the hill.

Total time for 11.74km was 1:11:47 for 6:07/km (9:50/mile). I have no idea what my heart rate was, as the new heart rate monitor is not here yet; it will probably be a week or so before I have it.

Garmin connect data here.

No comments: